Saturday, February 25, 2012

Synchronicity

I love when things happen that are not at all connected, but then again maybe they are. I'd like to think they maybe everything is much more connected than we think... 

When I first started this current etching class, on my way to and from school, I started listening to the audio book "The Serpent on the Crown," number 17 in my favorite ever audio book series by Elisabeth Peters. I listened to the first one (Crocodile on the Sandbank) 17 years ago and will probably listen to all of them again at some point in the future. They are set in Egypt around the turn of the 20th century and narrated by the amazing Barbara Rosenblat, who is a true artist when it comes of different voices and accents! 
Every time before I get to class, I am immersed in archaeological excavations with a good murder mystery added to the mix. So I thought I was still not yet quite present in class when my professor mentioned an international juried student print show that was happening in Egypt, at El Minia University in March.

Egypt. Really. Weird coincidence, right?!

She urged us all to enter. The show had stringent print size restrictions, so I printed both of these on eastern paper (the Japanese Kitakata paper), which is super thin but you can print right up to the edge of the paper. Beautiful, warm, luminous, and incredibly delicate.
Both of these prints were accepted - along with many other beautiful prints by other students from the print program - and are going to be traveling to Egypt! And if they don't sell, they will become part of their permanent collection.

My art.

Going to Egypt.

Some day Daniel and I will, too... 

13 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Congrats Silke!!! THat is wonderful!! How exciting for you!! And of course they would be accepted. Your work is amazing!! YAY!!! Go girl!

    Big hugs!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy!! I am so excited about this - and also that my prints actually turned out on that delicate paper... Hugs, Silke

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love these so much and both going to Egypt! I know I should hope they sell, but I would love for you to see them in Egypt when you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay!! I know - wouldn't it be fun to see them there? xo Silke

      Delete
  3. ~what an amazing opportunity and journey thus far my dear friend...you should be so proud of where you are...your art has evolved ever so greatly and now will be traveling afar to inspire the minds of so many more...congrats to you and your prints...much love light and blessings always shining brightly upon you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite proud, Brandi, and quite amazed, really. It just goes to show - it's never too late to try out something new... Hugs, Silke

      Delete
  4. Silke, that is SO exciting and definitely synchronistic!Both of your prints are so interesting. They have an aged quality about them that is so appealing and apropo. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, so good to see you here!!! And thanks for your kind comment!! xoxo Silke

      Delete
  5. That is a great reward for your efforts.

    Sorry, Silke, the top one does not do much for me (I'm the honest sort - if I'm not keen on something I don't believe in saying 'great' for the sake of it). The second one more than makes up for it and I love it. Very best of luck to both of them and I hope you do manage to follow them to Egypt one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but with my art, the reward is totally in the creating of it. This is just extra icing on the cake... And I do like icing! ;-)

      And I'm with you on those two pieces. I just love the second one. My professor is crazy about the first one. It's all so subjective.

      I do appreciate you being the honest sort, especially since your honesty contains a big dose of kindness! :) Silke

      Delete
  6. Nothing is a coincidence! What wonderful news, Silke. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely amazing, Silke! Big congrats to you!!!! I hope YOU get to visit there, too, someday!

    ReplyDelete