Friday, February 24, 2012

Dolores - Finished Painting

I wanted to paint a woman with downcast eyes and in the sketch phase (click here if you want to take a look) I thought that was impossible. The eyes looked closed.
But then I got a great suggestion in my Fabulous Faces class (willowing.ning.com) of some paintings to take a look at and after many hours of just working on the eyes -- success!!!
She does look like she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders, like she knows true sorrow. Which is why I named her Dolores.
But somehow she also carries a quiet dignity and strength, as though she knows even though her heart is heavy right now, she is quite capable of dealing with just about anything.

I had fun using a rubber stamp to lift off paint while it was still wet (the lighter areas in the background) and also add darker paint. It's something I hadn't tried before but I am sure will do again!
Dolores
6x 6 inch acrylic painting

available for sale in my Etsy shop (click here)

I am entering her in the weekly Illustration Friday exhibit (the theme is capable) and also am linking this post to the wonderful and very fun Paint Party Friday.

In the next few days, I have much more to share with you, a new print, more art, and some exciting and art-related news...


P.S. Thank you all for the wonderful comments on this piece!! I cherish every one of them...