Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Some thoughts...

Yesterday, something fairly insignificant happened that got me thinking. I was wearing a pair of shoes and suddenly one of the heels was falling apart. At first I couldn't believe it, but given that I bought these shoes probably 20 years ago, they were due to fall apart. 

As I threw them out, I said to Daniel: "Good riddance! They were always uncomfortable." 
That made me think. How often do we do that? Stay with something that is slightly (or even very) uncomfortable, just because it is familiar. I have certainly done that. In fact I still do sometimes. It also reminded me of a passage in Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach I was reading the other day:

"Our dragons are our fears: our day stalkers, our night sweats. Fear of the unknown. Fear of failing. Fear of starting something new and not finishing it. Again. Or the real fear, the one the sends shivers up our spines: the fear of succeeding, of becoming our authentic selves and facing the changes that will inevitably bring. We might not be happy with the way we are living now, but at least it's safely familiar."
I am totally happy with the life I am living now, and I realize that that is the result of many small and big changes. I have known plenty of anxiety attacks (and still do on rare occasions), but somehow my inner voice was always just a tiny bit louder. I didn't always listen, but the good thing is it never gives up!
The reason this is especially on my mind these days is that I have a number of friends who are in that unsettled place right now where change is inevitable and looks so very scary!
It could be the best thing ever, but when we are in that frightening place, we cannot imagine that things could ever be good again. We certainly cannot imagine that this change that is happening to us could bring something even better! I'm sure we've all been there. I know I have.
And another thing I know for sure - without those scary moments, without listening to my inner voice even though I was going into uncharted territory, without surrendering to the changes that were happening in my life, I would never have started making art, living my creative life, never have started blogging and would never have met you all.
First print of a new etching in progress - love it so far!!
I thought the Lara painting would make a good print!
And when I see where that has taken me, how my life hasn't only been changed but completely transformed,  I know that wonderful things are in store for my friends, too, and all really who are facing unsettling changes and are courageous enough to take the first small step.

Which brings me back to my uncomfortable shoes that were falling apart ... good riddance, indeed!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Silke, I definitely needed to hear this today. :)

    xx, C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, so good to hear from you!!! I hope you are doing well! xo Silke

      Delete
  2. Wow, really needed this right now! Hugs sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right back at you, Elena!! So glad you are back to blogging... xo

      Delete
  3. Liebe Silke,

    ich wünsche dir weiterhin viel Freude bei deiner
    Kreativität.

    Alles Liebe
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Elisabeth, dir schicke ich warme und sonnige Gruesse. Bei uns wird es heute fast Sommer... Alles Liebe, Silke

      Delete
  4. You're so right and as time goes on it gets even more difficult to make changes. I'm so happy to hear you've proved it's worth it Silke, thanks for sharing this here.
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, Jessie - it does get harder as time goes on. So happy to see you here!! xoxo

      Delete
  5. yea, those shoes are gone ;-) I made a pact with myself to only buy shoes that are comfy the first time i try them on!

    often we see Quan Yin riding on a dragon, symbolic of her making peace with her fears and now the dragon no longer rules her, it takes her where she wants to go.

    your etching it gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the shoes...the people in the store said they would stretch some more, but they never did. And I kept wearing them... That was the last time I bought uncomfortable shoes - well...almost the last time! ;-)

      I love that symbology of Quan Yin and the dragon!! xo

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post Silke, the inner voice that speaks louder than our fears, I like it. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liebe Silke,
    Schön hast du das geschrieben. Es freut mich, dass du glücklich bist und gute Freunde hast.
    Deine Schuhe haben dich jetzt aber auch lange genug getragen, nun muss mal was Neues her.
    LG Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du hast Recht, Sabine, ich muss mal wieder einkaufen gehen. Ich wuenschte mir nur, ich wuerde das lieber tun!! Bei Buechern, Malsachen und Wolle ist das gar kein Problem. Aber bei Kleidung habe ich nie Lust... LG Silke

      Delete
  8. thank you for this post today, silke. timely. inspiring. lovely.
    and good riddance indeed to uncomfortable shoes!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Thank you! And yes, good riddance to those shoes. I threw another old pair away as well, just for good measure... It doesn't do to hang on to stuff that's not dear to us! Or useful. xoxo Silke

      Delete
  9. Boy, this post really hits home. Thank you for sharing your thoughts which I'm sure resonate for so many of us. I love how wise and positive you are, it's very uplifting to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete