Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sketches & Underpaintings

Sometimes I find myself in a creative dry spell, and other times everything just spills out of me... This is one of those "other times"... 
The first face is drawn on a layer of fiber paste, which makes it feel like I'm drawing on handmade paper. Really nice!
And in the underpainting you can really see the texture - sort of grainy, but soft. It takes a little getting used to painting on it.
Do you remember this sketch above? Well, she was just a little too cute for me. So, I lengthened her nose and moved her mouth down a bit (and closed it!) and like her so much better!!
Do you see the pretty papers showing through? I had gotten them from here on Etsy a long time ago. In fact, I had forgotten that I had them. Not anymore! They are so fun and colorful and I'm sure some of them will be peeking through in the final piece...
I think the underpainting turned out beautifully! She looks so soft somehow. We'll see how she changes with color washes over the face and her hair and background also painted.
And just because ...  a picture from the opening of the student art shows at the school last night. Lots and lots of great art! We got to connect with quite a few students and also friends who came to see everyone's work. Quite inspiring!!

Wishing you a most relaxing and peaceful Sunday!

13 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    ich freue mich über dein strahlendes Gesicht.

    Alles Liebe

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Und ich freue mich immer ueber deinen Besuch, Elisabeth!!

      Alles Liebe, Silke

      Delete
  2. I can see how talented you are in your sketches, Silke. But I must confess...and I've never told you this before...I prefer your so called 'cutesy' works. :-] I tend to click away from your darker, sadder looking pieces...That's not a control thing to make you do what I like. I just thought I should let you know that your lighter pieces have a following too...Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think it's wonderful that you like my lighter stuff. I do like my lighter pieces, which to me convey a carefree emotion, but purely cute just isn't me.

      I usually go with the emotion that shows itself on the canvas while I paint. Good thing that you can click away when they become too sad for you. ;-)

      Enjoy your Sunday!! Hugs, Silke

      Delete
  3. I love the look of the underpainting on the fiber paste~~and the change in the second sketch; yes! Not cutesy, more thought and brains!
    Congrats on the show; you look radiant and it sounds like it was a wonderful time.
    Isn't it funny how creativity ebbs and flows and you have to be willing to bend to it's desires?

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the fiber paste (from Golden) is interesting to paint on - it sort of has a life of its own.

      I like the second sketch with the changes - she looks more grown up. Cutesy just isn't me - and she was bugging me. ;-)

      So happy to see you here!! Hugs, Silke

      Delete
  4. Another amazing lady painting! I love the textures, and her face is so full of emotion. The eyes, especially, really got to me. Glad to see you with your art at the reception! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!! The reception was fun and nice to see my art up on the wall. I am working on another print and have to produce one more in the next two weeks. I'm sort of "done" with that and am looking forward to drawing and painting full-time again! :)

      Happy Sunday! Hugs, Silke

      Delete
  5. Hallo Silke, die Zeichnungen sind dir sehr gut gelungen.
    Und wie schön, das ihr eine Ausstellung hattet.
    Am Ende meiner Weiterbildung werden wir auch unsere Bilder ausstellen. Aber bis adahin wird es noch etwas dauern.
    Ich wünsch dir alles Liebe
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Silke!! What a lovely picture of you!! And your art!! You look amazing and so proud!! Your girls are coming along wonderfully!! You are unstoppable girl!! Love it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Sunday to you, too, Silke. Really loved seeing the progression of your latest art piece. And look how happy you are posing with your art! Hope the show went well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Silke, it is great to see your prints in the show. I like to see your paintings, have A great week, michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Silke,
    I have nominated you for an award! Please read my post for today!
    You are the best and I am so glad I found you!
    Hugs to you!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete