Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wet Dog

Our Winslow is a beautiful mixed breed from Animal Humane and we don't know what kind of a mix he is, although we suspect that he's at least part husky. But we do know that he LOVES water. When he was a puppy, we took him on a walk and let him off the leash for the first time, not paying attention to the pool of standing water a little ways to our right. He, on the other hand was paying close attention, took a flying leap into the water, and came out smelling of sulfur. We drove home with the windows wide open and immediately took him into the shower to get him cleaned off.

Well, he loved getting a shower and ever since then he tries to get in the shower with us on a daily basis. For the most part, we keep him out (unless he really needs a bath), but last Sunday he was faster than me and got in while I wasn't looking.
Winslow also has a very thick undercoat and sheds a good bit. Our neighbors made us aware of this wonderful tool - a dog shedding blade - which gets rid of the shedding fur. We thought he might object, but he loves it. We take him out in the backyard, he lays down and we brush him. The first time it looked like snow flurries in our yard and Winslow like he'd lost 5 pounds. I can't believe how much this has helped with the fur balls flying around in our house! Not being a great lover of the vacuum cleaner, I am thrilled...
Just in case you are wondering - I am working on a piece of art. It's not ready for show and tell yet, but hopefully tomorrow!

Now, I am off to make dinner (whole grain pasta with tomatoes, smoked chicken, feta cheese and fresh basil - yum!) and then to visit your blogs! Wishing you a wonderful evening!!

16 comments:

  1. he looks like a delightful dog! how nice that he likes a bath/shower and will lay and let you groom him!! our presley fights back on both of those activities.

    your dinner sounds delicious! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart of a dog!! Dinner sounds amazing I might add! :)
    Darla♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAW! One thing for sure. Winslow is much loved by you! Aren't dogs the most loving creatures? Of course, they take after their masters. We love our Daisy. I wish she loved to take showers but she doesn't although she likes to hang arounf when I get ready for work.

    I have never heard of the shedding blade, sounds like somehting dogs would love just because they are touched. Have a fun summer with Winslow. Our Daisy ate a toad, got an ear infection and got so sick. We spent $800.00 for a 24-hour stay at the emergency clinic - more expensive than kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, it happened last weekend. She is okay now. She is feeling much better. She is on antibiotic. She is soooo loving and we all felt awful to see her so sick. She is playing with my daughter lasy night and I was wrestling with her earlier. Thank you for checking Silke. Your Winslow is one lucky dog to be part of your loving family! I love dogs, I was born in the year of the Dog! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a pugle and my teenage son has a wolf blend...we love our dogs..fur balls...not so much...thanks for the tip...
    looking forward to more artwork darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Winslow is gorgeous - lovely photos too.

    There is an a award on my blog for you if you're interested?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our last dog was a pound puppy, they make for the best dogs. She was a pitbull, sharpei, boxer mix and the most child friendly dog ever, and a great watchdog at the same time. With us for over 17 years she died of old age a couple years back.

    Winslow is a lucky dog. What could be better for pet and owner then a walk on the beach in summer, how fun. We took our Rusty for a walk to the beach almost every morning...she would wake us up and beg until we did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how cute is Winslow! Can I come cuddle with him!!??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Silke!
    That Winslow is one handsome boy! He's a lucky boy too. Can't wait to see your next creation. That dinner sounded WONDERFUL!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, you all, your comments are so heartwarming - it's so fun to hear from other dog lovers! I read every one of your comments to Winslow and if he could have he would have blushed at all the compliments you paid him... Hugs from me and kisses from Winslow! :) Silke

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful dog.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Winslow! We adopted our Beau when he was 6 or 7 years old. He's an Australian Shepherd, but it seems his previous people kept his hair short. The groomer told us that he now has more undercoat than hair on his back, so I comb out huge piles of shedding undercoat a few times a week. Yech! The dog shedding blade looks interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one around here.

    It's so funny that you don't like the vacuum cleaner! It's not one of my favorite things either.
    :0)
    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that now that I've seen the shedding tool on your blog I'll suddenly be seeing it everywhere! I'll check PetSmart - thanks!
    :0)
    That's so funny about why you say you left Germany - I always say they wouldn't let me live there now for the same reason. Hanging out of the third-story window to clean it or scrubbing the sidewalk every week (or at all!) - not my idea of a good time!

    I hope you enjoy your evening, too!
    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just catching up on all your trip pictures. Wow, so beautiful. I would love to go. I wanted to tell you too that I loved that sweet potato recipe. Wish I would have had the preserved lemons. Will have to do it again with those. Your dog is soooo cute!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Winslow is so noble and loyal. What a sweet buddy. I loved reading about him and his adventures. I laughed about the shower he got and I can surely relate when you were talking about the "snow flurries"!! I have two Ragdoll cats! I was told that they were "low shedding"...ha! Couldn't be more from the truth!! My day consists of vacuuming and rolling furniture, so I have snow flurries year round!! That recipe made my mouth water and now I am going to have to try it, and soon! I wanted to let you know that I have some awards for you on my bloggie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Silke, is very handsome your dog, hehe. Is a good thing that he likes the water...I had a dog, (for 14 years, he died 3 years ago) that didn't like the water and was a show when we wanted to wash him... So you don't have that problem, and is a good idea brushing the dog to keep out all the fur.
    Kisses and hugs.

    ReplyDelete