Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fresh Figs and Chocolate Cookies

Yesterday we harvested our first small bowl full of fresh figs from our fig tree. Every morning we check to make sure we get to them before the birds do and yesterday, some of the figs were finally ripe. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the birds - there's not much to compare with a sweet, juicy fig and later in the summer, I will be happy to share, but not these first ones (I barely share them with Daniel)...

Now, Daniel and I eat a very healthy diet for the most part - no refined sugar or flour, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, etc. But once in a while, I have the urge to bake with all the "right" ingredients - butter, sugar, flour, and chocolate! Yesterday was one of those days and I found the perfect excuse:

My very first Etsy sale!! Thank you, Diantha for helping me get my business started. I am so happy that my little collage is on its way to you! Come to think of it, I should have sent a few celebration cookies as well...
I am including the recipe for these cookies (which we got from our friend Diane in Albuquerque) for all of you who have a sweet tooth as they are the best chocolate cookies I have ever tasted!

Double Chocolate Cookies (I added dark chocolate chips as well, which made them Triple Chocolate Cookies.)
From Cooks Illustrated, Sept. 1999 issue

Ingredients
Sift together and set aside:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 t baking powder
1 t salt

16 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped & melted

4 large eggs, beaten with
2 t vanilla, and sprinkled with
2 t instant coffee powder

10 T (1 1/4 sticks) butter, softened but firm
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

How to:
(CI is very particular about how to do each step. Use your own judgment!)

1. Cream butter (approx. 15 seconds w/ hand mixer), then beat in sugars until combined (approx. 1 1/2 min.). It will look granular.

2. On low, beat in egg mixture (1 min.), then chocolate (1 min.), then flour mixture (1 min.), scraping between each. Do not overbeat.

3. Cover w/ plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until consistency is scoopable and fudgy, approx. 30 min.

4. Meanwhile, adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Preheat to 350. Line cookie sheets w/ parchment.

5. Scoop golfball-sized balls 1 1/2 inches apart. (don't skimp)

6. Bake 10 min., turning sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through.

7. Cool 10 minutes on pan then slide parchment to rack.

Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Very good with nuts or chocolate chips (white, regular, or dark) as well.

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. What a way to celebrate your first sale. The cookies sound fabulous I want one right now with my cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Silke, Yummy is what I say! Gosh your cookies look so good! Thanks very much for your recipe and Congrats to you on your very first sale! Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Silke!! Whoohoo! How great is that, your first sale!! I think a chocolate cookie celebration is definitely in order!
    Your figs look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silke, congrats on your sale!! How fun!

    Oh, and I love a new cookie recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Silke with your first sale!! Thats great! And I would loooove to taste those delicious cookies! When I lived in New Jersey (1989-90) I bought these delicious cinnamon cookies, soft and veeeery good (looks like chocolatechips cookies, but they had cinnamon in them). I have never found them in since. Do you by any chance have the recipe for that too? Hugs Annika ;)

    ReplyDelete