Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Recipe and Two More Awards!

Many of you asked for the Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad recipe we made for the 4th of July, so here it is. It's really simple to make. The preserved lemons are optional, but they truly add an amazing flavor!

1 large onion, chopped coarsely
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt
6 or 7 green olives
peel of 1/2 preserved lemon, chopped (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Fry the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden. Cut the sweet potatoes into pieces (about 1-inch cubes), add to pan, and barely cover with water. Add the ginger, cumin, paprika, a little salt, and two more tablespoons of oil. Cook until the potato pieces are tender, and the liquid has reduced to a sauce, turning the potatoes over once, and keeping watch so that they do not suddenly fall apart.

Serve at room temperature, mixed with the olives and preserved lemon peel, if using, and sprinkled with lemon juice, the remaining olive oil, and the chopped parsley.

Serves 4

(Find the recipe for the preserved lemons here.)

A few days ago, the amazing Angela Recada bestowed The Mermaid Award on me! I feel so honored, Angela!! Make sure to visit her blog where you will get your daily dose of inspiration!

I am delighted to give the Mermaid Award for “alluring, amusing, bewitching, impressive & inspiring blogs” to all of you! If I didn't find myself pressed for time at the moment, I'd give you a long list of all your blogs that bewitch me on a daily basis. But as it is, I invite all of you to pass this award on to bloggers who inspire you!

The same goes for this lovely award given to me by the talented K of Heart Wing Sisters. Her blog makes me smile every time I visit!! Take a look at her blog and you'll know what I mean!

This award, as well, I dedicate to all of you! You all have changed my life and are my daily inspiration! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Well, friends, Daniel and I are leaving on a road trip today to attend our niece's wedding in Niagara Falls. I will try to check in from the road, but I don't know how connections will be. So, if you don't hear from me until next Wednesday, don't worry. I will be back!

14 comments:

  1. Hello, dear Silke!

    I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip. The Niagara Falls area is lovely, especially the Canadian side, and the Ontario wine country beyond.
    :0)
    The recipe sounds wonderful, it contains some of my favorite spices, so I'll definitely be making it. Thank you for posting it!

    And congratulations on all the awards you've been receiving! You have such a delightful way about you, people are just naturally drawn to you, your art and your blog.

    Safe trip,
    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great, safe trip and thanks for the wonderful recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your awards Silke! You definintely deserve them for sure!!! :)
    Have a great time at Niagara Falls! I've got to visit there only once, but it was breathtaking!!
    ♥♥Darla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yum! Thank you for the recipe! I will try this weekend. Congrats on the awards and have fun!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well deserved, Silke - congratulations on the awards!

    Yummy! Oddly enough, I was just trying to think of something delicious to make for supper tonight and, voila, Silke provides the answer! Thank you so much....I'm sure it'll taste as gorgeous as it looks.

    Hope you road trip is just wonderful - we all look forward to hearing about it when you get home again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yummy. I am definately trying this recipe. Congrats on the award. You are an amazing artist. Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe, Silke! And have a wonderful and safe trip! I love the Falls, blow them a kiss from me, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silke the recipe sounds great. Have a safe and nice trip. I've never seen Niagara Falls. You are so lucky to get to go to someplace so romantic for the weekend. Have a good time. I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful and safe trip Silke and get back soon ;) You really deserve all the awards you get! You are such a warm and caring person and I am glad I have found you ;) Hugs Annika

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank you for posting the recipe for the morrocan salad - I was one of the yammering crowd asking for that - it just looked too good not to try
    and then the link to the preserved lemons led me to some other good recipes too
    yeah

    ReplyDelete
  11. dearest Silke, have a lovely weekend on your trip! We will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great time Silke and well done on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ready for another award? Yes!! It's ready for you on my blog! People love you Silke :)

    Darla♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your awards! You are deservedly popular.
    And I've already bookmarked this page to make this salad.

    ReplyDelete