Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Food - Memphis Chopped Cole Slaw

As promised, here is the recipe for the delicious slaw we made the other day, which I wrongly called Carolina Slaw. When I looked for the recipe online (we only have a rudimentary handwritten version), I discovered that it's really called:

Memphis Chopped Cole Slaw
(America's Test Kitchen)

1 medium head green cabbage, chopped into 1/4 inch dice (NOT shredded) - we used red cabbage this last time
1 carrot, grated
1 small onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and diced

Toss together with 2 teaspoons of salt, place in colander and allow to drain for 1 hour. Rinse off the salt and remove excess water in salad spinner.

Combine in medium saucepan:

2/3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seeds

Bring to a boil and pour hot on vegetables. Toss and chill for at least one one hour before eating.

This coleslaw has a wonderful sweet and tangy flavor and is even better the next day. Enjoy!!

☀ ☀ ☀ ☀ ☀ ☀ ☀ ☀ ☀
Yesterday, I was feeling much better again (yeah!!!), so we went on an outing to Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge near Hilton Head Island. I cannot wait to share the photos with you tomorrow!

In the meantime, thank you for your visits and sweet comments! You always make my day!!

20 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,
    im Rezept erwähnst du GRÜNkohl, ich sehe auf dem Foto aber nur rohen ROTkohl?!? Bin ich farbenblind geworden ...?
    Liebe Grüße,
    Verena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe - I will be sure to try it during the barbeque season - if we HAVE a BBQ season this year, that is! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guten Morgen, Silke :-)

    I'm glad you're feeling better and look forward to seehing the photos of your trip.

    I LOVE cabbage (must be the German in me) and this recipe looks great. I will definitely try it. Do you remember the cooked cabbage salad in Germany or did you not eat it there? I love that one too. Cabbage is very healthy, so I feel even better about eating it and the Jalapeno is a great twist, because I love it hot - Mexican food is one of my biggest addiction (I have to confess!)

    Have a great day! Auf Wiedersehen und Tschuess!
    Doris :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so yummy! Love cabbage, and I really love roht khol (not sure if I spelled that right or not, can read it, but not good on writing anymore!!). When we lived out west a restaurant served a cole slaw with pineapple, very yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds sooo good Silke!! And I'm glad you are feeling better...looking forward to the photos from your outing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious, Silke. Thanks for sharing. So glad to hear that you're feeling better. And thanks for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog. I will share more about the research and playing with the quantum field soon. ;-) In the meantime, love and bright wishes for a magical weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Silke! This looks great. I am not a big fan of cole slaw, but I'd actually try this one. Sounds delicious! Happy Friday to you!!! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is almost too pretty to eat. Oooooo, jalapeño peppers! I saw you featured on Sherry's blog! I had not realized it was Sherry who won your lovely painting...how perfect is that! Wishing you a lovely weekend. ♥ Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thank you Silke for sharing another of your mouthwatering recipes. YAY! for feeling better! take it easy and enjoy your weekend!
    love to you,
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Silke, yumm sounds great! Thank you! I hope that you have a wonderful and beautiful weekend!
    Hugs and much love...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. you just gotta love anything purple that shows up in food....

    enjoy silke ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. But is it still called Memphis Cole slaw when it is made in Georgia or the Carolinas?

    What are you trying to do? Friday is supposed to be for fasting and here you are enticing everyone with beautiful food!

    Hope you are well.

    Someone came to my office and saw your painting and was so awed. She loved your painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm this look so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    I am so glad you are feeling better.

    Thank you so much Silke. I collect dirt too, LOL! And dust bunnies!
    I really just like small things. Too cute not to buy.
    Small clothes pins, safety pins, writing pens, knives, and anything else that is a smaller version of something. I even like the small cans of soda, silly isn't it?

    Thank you Silke for the sweet comment on my Iron Angels. I am doing pretty good. I appreciate you caring.
    Have a great weekend!
    Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super-lovely recipe...yay..wonderful! Love slaw!!
    Glad you are feeling more sparky..yay!
    Have a Happy wkd!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one I'll try...thanks for sharing..hug, hug

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Thanks for the email! blessings and bright weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds just wonderful, I think I will have to try it. Enjoy you day out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy....I will give it a try...Have a nice day...Inge

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cole slaw looks so beautiful! Maybe you could make a scarf with these colors! or a painting. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the color and it looks and sounds really delicious!!

    so happy to hear you are feeling better and better each day!

    loves to you
    xxoo
    k

    ReplyDelete