Sunday, February 13, 2011

Knitting and crocheting...

Some time ago, I told you about the slouch hat I was starting with the beautiful sparkly yarn the wonderful Vicki (2 Bags Full...) gave me and here it is! That's a great pattern, Vicki!! I finished it and then decided that with the rest of the yarn and some of the pink wool yarn that my aunt had given me, I would attempt to knit a Moebius cowl, one of those cowls with a half twist - sort of like the symbol for infinity.
What a fun challenge that was with the most unusual cast on as you have to knit this in a very different way, sort of from the middle out. For those of you interested, I found a great youtube tutorial here. And then... I thought the slouchy hat needed something pink to match it better to the cowl, so I crocheted a big flower and sewed it on with the sparkly yarn. I love, love, love this!! Thank you, Vicki and Inge (my sweet aunt).  
(By the way, it's very hard to take self portrait photos without them looking creepy - you should see some of the ones I had deleted. Well, actually you shouldn't!)

Now a few glimpses of projects I am working on for my Etsy shop. I'm feeling energized again to make something to sell after a nice post Christmas break. Here is a scarf knit on the diagonal with beautiful and soft yarn and some nice lacy patterns. Love those colors!!
And here the beginnings of a scarf I have probably unraveled a dozen times. I was trying to figure out a cable pattern (all by myself) that looks the same on both sides of the scarf. I did it! And when it's finished, you'll be able to see it better.
And here a crocheted moebius cowl - I'm sort of fascinated by them! It was very different crocheting one than it was knitting one. With the crocheted cowl, I could test as I was going along how well it would fit. With the knitted cowl, I had to hope that once I cast off, I would actually be able to pull it over my head. Luckily, it worked!
I will let you all know when I update my shop with these and more. In the meantime, thank you all so much for your wonderful comments on my sketches. And thank you for also thinking that my sketch of myself looked much older than I do in real life. I think so, too!! ;-)

Here's to a relaxing and creative and sunny Sunday!!

23 comments:

  1. Love the hat with the flower and the other things you are knitting look so soft-pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always busy. Your self portrait photos look lovely, you look great in grey it makes your eyes POP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Silke,

    das gefällt uns beiden sehr gut.
    An dieser Stelle danke ich dir für deine
    Freundschaft in einer schweren Zeit.

    Herzliche Grüße von uns beiden
    Angela und Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Silke, on all of your knitting and crocheting. I love the yarn in the slouchy hat! All the sparkly bits!...and the last photo of the cowl is fabulous! I love making the cowls and hats too...By the way, does Vicki sell the pattern for the slouchy hat? And will she allow others to use it to sell their products?! I love a variety of patterns, even though I have different ones of my own in my shop...Keep at all your creative goodness!! Paint, knit, crochet, rinse...repeat!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silke, these photos of you are adorable! I love the hat and cowl with the pink in it. You do nice work, Silke. I don't know a thing about knitting or crocheting. Actually, I did knit a shawl for my mom as a surprise (about 100 years ago). Don't remember how I ever did it. The younger brain cells must have had something to do with it. hahaha
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Silke,
    die Kombi steht dir fantastisch. Schön finde ich die roten Farbtupfer. Ein Hingucker und doch nicht zu aufdringlich.
    LG Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your slouch hat and am blown away by the Moebius cowl and totally in awe of your scarf with the double sided cable pattern - I am not a very talented knitter.
    BTW - the inside of my house doesn't look even close to the wonderful antique shop you are envisioning - I just tend to crop the photos, so the 'other stuff' isn't visible - after all, cats and chaos rule supreme here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deinen Möbius Schal liebe ich. Wunderbar - vielen Dank für das Tutorial...Ich werde gleich mal üben. Scheint mir aber ziemlich kompliziert..Dir eine schöne Woche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Lord woman---when do you find time to DO all this??? You must knit at warp speed..LOL!!!
    I have wanted to try the cabled-on-both-sides knitting, but have not gotten brave yet.
    I'll wait till you're done! ;-)
    Love the hat and cowl!

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just GORGEOUS--I especially love the cowl....very very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Silke,
    you looks so lovely in your new slouch hat-and it looks like a wonderfull pattern, that actually sits tight on head,and ears--a very importent thing (I think) for hats -to be woen in winter -snow-and storm!!!
    The yarn , used for your other projects, are wonderfull in colors, and looks great to work with.
    Hope you are ok? dear Silke- even we don`t write often-- I often think about you.
    Hugs, from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the multicolored cowel by the multitalented Silke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Du siehst sehr hübsch aus. Das ist so schön und passt gut zu Dir.
    Ich wünsche Dir einen schönen Wochenanfang
    Liebe Grüsse
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh das steht dir aber gut,
    Die Mütze sieht toll aus.
    A happy valentine for you and Daniel
    Greetings from
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Silke, Du siehst wundervoll aus! Die Farben stehen Dir grandios. Und der Möbius-Schal - ein Traum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silke, Beautiful work! You and Robyn make me want to learn to knit, I just can't seem to find the time though. Love and hugs,Annie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely treats! You did a great job, Silke. I have a pattern for a mobius style of cowl, but I haven't had time to work on it yet. I hope to, soon. Hope you and Daniel have a great Valentine's Day! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous work! And just the perfect winter for all your warm creations. When I saw the first one, I immediately thought you had wrapped a beautiful necklace of red beads around yourself as well. Very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so so so pretty Silke!!

    your talent is endless!

    oxoxox
    k

    ReplyDelete
  20. that red strand highlight is so perfectly elegant!

    and i understand you will be helping annie's joeys, along with lori and others. can you imagine a little australian joey cuddled up in one of your knitted pouches, silke?

    makes me smile from ear to ear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How pretty! You have been very busy, Silke. I especially love the pale blue/steel blue hat's yarn...it looks like it has beads in it - sort of looks like dew drops. Very nice! Good job on the moebius cowls - I've never made one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also Du bist ja sowas von fleißig - Respekt! Kommst Du eigentlich auch noch zum Schlafen? Liebe Grüße von Luzia.

    ReplyDelete