Saturday, April 21, 2012

It's official...

...I've become a bird watcher!
Yesterday afternoon and this morning, I have abandoned my studio and sat in the yard for hours watching the birds - the weather was perfect and our bird feeders, blue bird house and fountains were more than busy!
The bluebirds are officially moved in to the bluebird house. Last year the chickadees ousted them.
A little Carolina wren. They are so nosy that they keep coming in the house exploring (completely fearless) when I leave the door open. 
The cardinals still stop me in my tracks - they are so beautiful!  (Do you see our oak leaf hydrangea blooming behind he feeder?)
And then there are the entertaining acrobat squirrels...
A little titmouse at the feeder. 
The big and noisy grackles have been very busy.
The males are just stunning in their color!  
Here's one impressing a female who was on the ground underneath the feeder.
A bird of a different sort - Winslow is always happy when we sit outside. What's that bright color you wonder? Daniel's tie dye sweat pants!
He's one of my favorite birds, which I've shown you before - the red-bellied woodpecker! This year we have two males coming to the feeder - we think one of them might be the baby from last year. 
And here is the one I had been waiting for all morning. The tiny downy woodpecker! 
He is so small compared to the red-bellied woodpecker, but just as beautiful! 
What does Ramses think of all of that? It makes him stretch and yawn.
None of the birds mind him being there - they know he doesn't hunt. But watch out if another cat wanders into the backyard - all of the birds and squirrels immediately sound the alarm. That alerts Winslow who chases the cat away - and all is well again!

Wishing you all a peaceful Saturday!!

12 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    wie im Märchenland, aber Wirklichkeit.

    Sonnige Grüße

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's a good "official" thing to do...bird watch. And it's a good "unofficial" thing to do too. That's what I also do on occasion! ^_^ You got great photos of everybody...especially the acrobatic squirrel! ^_^ I have robins, blue jays, woodpeckers and cardinals in my backyard. And an occasional fox, cat, rabbit and frog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gut, das Ramses nur guckt. Das ist aber auch eine wahre Vogelpracht und so hübsch bunt.
    LG Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy watching the birds. We have had our hummingbird feeder out for a week and not a single hummer yet. We do not know what is going on. I hope we get one soon. You had any hummers yet?
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photos! We love bird watching too!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I am a bird watcher too....they just make my smile!!!! I love all of your amazing photos and hope they inspire you to do a whole new series of paintings Silke!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, all of them! I love the expression in Winslow's eyes. Some of the birds you see in your garden look very exotic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Je me suis sincèrement régalée en admirant l'ensemble de vos merveilleuses photos...
    J'espère que ce magnifique matou n'est pas allé savourer ces petits oiseaux.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Silke,
    Wonderful photos! Keep that artistic eye of yours on those birds and then may we expect to see some beautiful painting of birds from you? I hope so!
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous photos!! And the ones of the grackles are beautiful--they can be such annoying birds-makes me want to change my opinion of them! And your dog has blue eyes! How pretty they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Our present house has a reasonable list of bird visitors and about eight species nested in the garden last year but we are lucky to see more than one species in an hour. How wonderful to get all those in one session. No wonder you abanonded everything and just watched. Thanks for as lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Silke, what a wonderful job you did in capturing the beauty in your own back yard! Amazing that you have that many colorful visitors. The shot of Ramses is so cute! Really captured his personality. **clapping of many hands** Beautiful job! **kisskiss** Deb

    ReplyDelete