Sunday, March 4, 2012

From Drawing to Print

I should have titled this: "From pretty drawing to a somewhat scary print." Or intense print...
Today was a busy, busy day for me with preparing this image for my last print for my current etching class. It helps me to first draw the portrait I want to use before I flip the image horizontally and then paint it onto the copper plate with this stuff called "white ground" or "soap ground." Basically, where the white ground is thick, the acid won't bite as much. So, depending on how you apply it, you can get a nice range of values.
After I had finished painting, I packed up everything I needed and went to the print studio, where I prepared a lovely acid bath for this pretty lady. And, voilà, after only seven minutes - all etched!
I love the colorful reflection in this photo!
I had to print a proof immediately and also transfer the image to a second copper plate so I can prepare a background as a next step.
The print is a little dark and I can see where I didn't wipe the ink quite enough. Also, when I print her in color rather than black, she'll lighten up quite a bit. The background? Something lacy I think... to go with my previous "doily print."

While the print isn't quite as sweet as the drawing, I love how she changed personality in the print. She looks so much more determined!

And because many of my blog friends participate in Sunday Sketches, I decided I would, too. I may  not have time to visit everyone there at the moment, but it looks like a great group of people, and I think my quick drawing qualifies as a sketch.

Wishing you all a beautiful Sunday evening, a good night and a fantastic start to the new week!

17 comments:

  1. Ya, she is kinda scary now! Love the original drawing. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am weird because I actually think she is one of your best prints!!--maybe not technically-I couldn't say about that--but I like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I totally agree - I think the drawing is sweet, but the print holds a lot more intensity and power. I like that!! xoxo Silke

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful. Her expression is wonderful. Welcome to SS and thank you for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia! I am so glad to be a part of your wonderful creative group!! xo Silke

      Delete
  4. Wow..totally gorgeous Silke! What a magical process..i love copper....there is something so powerfully alchemical about the work you are doing..and the magical process it creates....inspiring art!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victoria! You are right - this etching process is magical - there is a wonderful element of surprise... xoxo Silke

      Delete
  5. i have to agree that i really like the original drawing; i think it is one of your best. her lips and hair and expression are really good.

    it seems to me that the printing making makes your woman scary. just my uneducated opinion, of course

    xoxo
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am a little different - the drawing made me think: "lovely", but the print made my heart beat a little faster. Both when the copper came out of the acid bath and when I pulled the print. Bold and daring and I like that! :) xoxo Silke

      Delete
  6. I love the original drawing and as someone who still has nightmares about etching many many years after finishing art school I am very impressed with your etching... I like how sketches change and evolve according to the medium...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how funny! You know, had I stopped with the beginning etching class, I would have had many nightmares to remember. But now, in intermediate etching I am having fun! I have finally learned the processes and that makes a huge difference! Thanks for visiting!! xo Silke

      Delete
  7. Great drawing...and nice to see you at SS :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liebe Silke,

    das ist ein Genuss.

    In Liebe
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh she looks like a statue coming out of the page. Very intense and arty, powerful and she's in the room!
    Thank you Silke for coming over to my blog too! :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous results...it does not look easy...how i would love to play like this.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Silke! I just came to your blog and reading your profile I am amazed you are so new to painting because your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete