Friday, January 31, 2014

Self Portrait (cont.)

I've been doing some more work on my charcoal self-portrait (you can see the beginnings of it here). This was done from life - looking in a mirror. There were some parts where I had to trick my mind into being quiet. When it came to the ears, I caught myself thinking: "Oh, no, ears are so hard to draw." I actually wished I still had long hair to cover them...
But ears are no different to draw than a mouth or a book or a cup. It's just shapes of shadow and light. Actually I worked on the ears a little more last night and changed them slightly, but haven't taken any more photos of the drawing since.
I think I'm done with the charcoal part of it. I think it even though it doesn't look like me exactly (I think it looks like a younger version of me), I can tell it's supposed to be me.
I drew this on canvas and sprayed it with fixative so that I can now add some color to it and turn it into a painting. I'm not yet sure how, but I think once I get started, I'll figure it out. And of course I'll share my progress with you all...

Wishing you a color-filled and happy day!

Silke

9 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    deine Begabung fasziniert mich.

    Alles Liebe
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definately see you ... I think you have captured who you are very well. Did you do it from memory, use a mirror or a picture? I don't have a good visual memory which is one reason I am not good at drawing, but this is beautiful. I would be afraid to go any further with it. You are courageous to start adding color ... I look forward to seeing what you do.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful likeness Silke, hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you.

    But I see an older version of you. A less happy looking version.

    Guess I'm used to the smiling Silke, which I see in your blog. A more introspective Silke, is what you are drawing here.

    Well, to me, that is. Just my outside view.

    You are making me want to try charcoal though... Never did. I've tried oils and pastels. And even those, were a long time ago... But never charcoal...

    I should, I know... My husband keeps wanting me to do some art, again. But I seem to be stuck in "not"... Interesting...

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! It's not so bad remembering your younger self. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. It Looks wonderful, and I agree with you,. The ears are really hard to paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silke, thank you for following my blog and for adding me to your blogroll on your sidebar. I was so surprised, as I was scrolling down and thinking, "Wow, there are a lot of interesting-looking blogs here that I will have to visit," to see mine there!

    I love this self-portrait that you've done. In an earlier post of yours I saw a photo of you and that made me think that you look a bit older in your self-portrait.

    I love your blog...thank you for following mine so I could find you!

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. What talent you have. This is a great self portrait, but you have such a lovely smile I'd have loved to see that image. I'd be afraid to do any more to it, but can't wait to see what you do next.
    Have a great w/end.

    ReplyDelete