Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Good Bread and What a Difference a Day can make

Those of you following my blog for a while know that I'm a nut for good bread! I love it! Probably more than any other food. And I like to bake my own and do so every week. This was a fun recipe with very little hands-on time. It's a 100% whole wheat variation on the original No-Knead Bread.
You mix the dough together with a spatula and then just let it sit at room temperature and rise for 12 to 15 hours. After that you stretch and fold the dough a few times and then let it rise for another 1 1/2 hours on a tea towel.
You heat a lidded cast-iron pan in the oven to 450 degrees and dump the dough into the hot pan, close it with the lid and bake it first with the lid on and then off.
And, voilà, a beautiful crunchy loaf of whole wheat bread. You can find the detailed recipe here.  Next time I'll try a variation with rye flour and soaked grains.
Now to the other news. I caught a really tenacious and bad cold virus just around Thanksgiving and it has hung on until now, getting better at times and then returning. The latest variation was a really sore throat which I've had for over a week. And no energy. I've been resting and taking good care of myself and finally today I feel better. I think I got more done today than I have in the past two weeks! I'm glad and I feel for anyone who has gotten sick with this virus or the flu this winter.

I wish you perfect health and a great day!!

Silke

6 comments:

  1. I also love homemade bread/buns and I also baked today. Yesterday was bread, today was buns. Hubby is eating another one right now lol.
    Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks delicious Silke. I think it's great that you like the bread-making process. I must admit that I do not! ^_^ Maybe it's because I have a sensitivity to carbohydrates, and bread has not been my food friend over the years. :-) But I sure do like the way it smells when it's baking!! Too bad I couldn't smell yours! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made bread it's just not my kind of baking. It's Mr France who makes bread in our home, I'll have to show him this recipe, your bread looks delicious. Hope you get back to good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi hi hi,woran erkennt man den Deutschen im Paradies?
    Er wird sagen:" Das ist ja alles wirklich schön hier, die tropischen Pflanzen, die freundlichen Engel, das schöne Ambiente, aber Brot können sie hier nicht machen!"
    Auch wenn du mittlerweile eine echte Amerikanerin bist, die sogar mir, der Deutschen auf englisch schreibt, am Brot merkt man wo deine Wurzeln sind ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks so good Beautiful.
    All your cooking looks delicious!
    I also got the flu, and on january the first, I had to lay in bed all day. Had absolutely no energy.
    I hope your flu is gone soon.
    One of my new years resolution is blogging more often and visiting and comment more on all the great artist out there in blogglandia :)

    Have a great day! Hugs & Love Annika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Silke. I'm another one who loves baking bread and also eating it. Your bread looks delish! Thanks for sharing how you made it. Be careful about the flu. It is getting worse and worse I hear. We got our flu shots but one can still catch it but not as bad. Take care.

    ReplyDelete