Monday, January 13, 2014

Color me Orange

Actually, it's more like "Color me Kumquat." Last week before the big freeze, I picked all of our ripe kumquats. Our tree is new from last year, it is tiny, but still I was left with a nice big bowl full of sweet kumquats. Way too many for me to just eat.
So, I did two things - I used them to infuse both some vodka and gin. We did that one year and it was really refreshing for the occasional summertime cocktail. I especially like the slight bitterness.
With the rest of them, I made kumquat marmalade, which was just a little bit time-consuming. But I found a recipe for Moroccan-style kumquat marmalade that I really wanted to try. (You can find the recipe here.)
After removing all the seeds and cutting the kumquats into thin slivers I mixed them with sugar, added some orange juice and some star anise and let the concoction sit in the fridge overnight.
The next day, the marmalade was ready to be cooked. 
I boiled it for about 30 minutes to have it get nice and syrupy. The kitchen smelled wonderfully!
And just before filling it into jars, you add a tablespoon full of orange blossom water. It smelled amazing! The author of the recipe makes the jam to just have in the fridge to use, but I wanted Daniel to taste some when he got back, so I processed my two jars in a water bath so I can keep them for a longer period of time.
I hope your week is off to a good start!!

Silke

8 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    von mir kommen sonnige Grüße.
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, all of this, sounds delicious. -happy sigh-

    I don't think I have ever had a Kumquat! Must rectify that, soon. And actually I didn't think they were so 'orange.' So that shows how little I know, about Kumquats.

    Just looking at your lovely photos, I'm sure your house smelled marvelous! Natural scents! Can't beat 'em.

    Tessa~
    (Upper NE of US)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! i so wished we lived closer...we would have a blast having coffee with one another. and painting of course!
    xo, kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~you have teased me senses this morning with such a spicy sweet treat...the pictures alone speak for themselves...I could only imagine the flavors to be had...a lovely day ahead for you...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, sieht das alles lecker aus!

    lg Rein

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have some of the kumquat-infused vodka, please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, that must have smelled wonderful! looks so colorful and refreshing too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moley !

    I ' m impressed !

    ReplyDelete