Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Monastery and Fried Green Tomatoes

On our way back from Atlanta a few weekends ago, we again took the back roads and stopped at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit. It is not far from the bustling big city of Atlanta, but it feels a world away.
Beautiful and peaceful it felt like a place for true retreat.
 It's definitely a place we want to visit again.


And then... further on the road back to Savannah, we spied a sign for the Whistlestop Cafe from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes." Come to find out, it was filmed in Juliette, GA!
It is one of my all time favorite movie and so we had to stop! It was the real deal - all the buildings from the movie.
The diner looks a little different than on the movie set, but the food was excellent and we had a great time!
I guess usually there's a long line to get in, but we were there early enough so that we got a seat at the counter. I have to admit, it was one of my favorite discoveries on this trip!




We wandered around for a little bit and looked at all the quaint buildings. Juliette, GA definitely has a sense of humor!




That was the last part of our visit to Atlanta. We are going back soon and are planning to explore some new places.

I hope you are having a wonderful week!!

Silke

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Two places that fed your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you were at the Monastery, you were only a few miles from me!!
    I often walk beside the monastery there and I know just where you are in the photo, when I pass the spot, I will say a special prayer for you, my friend, I hope you will feel the blessing come your way!
    I have not been to the Whistle Stop Café but so many of my friends have gone there, I have seen all their photos! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to say that I think I know the Monastery from Kay's blog, but she has already commented on it herself :-)
    I have to admit to never having watched the "Green Tomatoes" movie... But Juliette as a whole certainly looks quaint enough, and I am glad you "discovered" it :-)

    ReplyDelete