Thursday, October 16, 2014

Creative Stuff & Birthday Dinner

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I updated my blog, but that is what happens when summer is over. It seems that with cooler temperatures we all come back to life and get really busy with meeting up with friends, going into town, going out for walks. In short, we love being able to be outside again without melting!
It also means though that computer time is cut short. And that means that I'm behind on e-mails and blog visits. I think I'll try adopting a once-a-week-blog-post approach for the rest of the year (which I can already see getting busy with fun stuff) and see how that works. Flexibility is the key, I think!
I have been so busy with creative projects and it has been beyond fun for me. In this post, I'll share a couple of my latest paintings, which have sold already. I'm working on another one and will maybe get that done today.  I'll also show you some of my recent sewing projects.
My art continues to excite me, especially since I work so intuitively for most of the painting and never know where it will lead. Fun!!
So, yesterday was Daniel's birthday and I planned a surprise dinner with some friends for him.
Because we've all been to Spain, I decided to make paella (the real thing!) and a few tapas for appetizers.  I was so nervous and really studied quite a few paella recipes and then put together my own combination of ingredients.
I finished these little clutches last week to send to a boutique in Texas to hopefully sell for me. They turned out beautifully, although I have to admit I am still a bit insecure about my sewing.
Speaking of sewing, just in time for the dinner I finished sewing these fun placemats. Each one is different and they all make for a happy table, don't they?  
And the paella? It was perfect and delicious!! I had bought the real paella rice for it and added chorizo, chicken, prawns, squid and clams. I was so relieved it turned out well!
For his birthday, I got Daniel (well, us really) a fire pit for the backyard. We've talked about it for a long time and I figured we'll make great use of it all winter long.
And as you can see, we tried it out last night. It was perfect! Even Winslow joined us for some conversation (although I suspect he was more intent on checking out dessert!).
It was one of those evenings that is just rich with all the good stuff: friends, family, laughter, good food, perfect weather and simply spending time together. In the end, those are the things that matter, aren't they?!

Sending you love and joy on this beautiful Thursday!

Silke
P.S. I made a fantastic Sangria to go with the dinner.

P.P.S. It may be responsible for the slight headache I have this morning...

P.P.P.S. It was totally worth it! 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous birthday dinner! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paintings and the clutch bags are fabulous. Heheheh on the headache but looks like dinner was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated Happy Birthday to Daniel. I'm glad everything turned out well. It makes for a relaxed, happy time.
    Your paintings are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, where do I begin. Maybe with, Happy Birthday Daniel ... are you the lucky husband to have such a wife. Everyday is a birthday for you, I'll bet.

    So I have decided that everything you touch turns to gold ... and yet, you feel insecure about it. There isn't anything in this post that isn't spectacular, exceptional, wonderful and (I am quite sure) tasty. Keep holding on to that little bit of insecutity because I think it is what drives you to excellence, but take time out to revel in what you have accomplished. Good grief you have so bloomed just in the short time that I have known you and I have a feeling, the best is yet to come. Wonderful post ... I think weekly is a great idea and that is not to say you can't throw something on your blog when you get the urge. Rules are made to break, you know :) I would love to be as young as you again if I had as bright a future to look forward to. Love it all, Silke ... you're the best!

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. ... Just a thought ... have you ever considered making prints from your art before you sell it? You can sell prints for less to people like me who can't afford the originals and you could do things like make note cards or even T-shirts. I would buy a T-shirt with your cat on it in a snap. I am guessing that this has crossed your mind, but just throwing it out there :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, you are on a roll, Girl! And now I am hungry for paella!!! Very nice firepit, too! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Silke..Beautiful art..your animals spirits capture my soul and speak to my heart!! fantastic celebration pictures, Bday wishes to your hubby . wow...goodness..loving those clutches..stunning! You are so talented!
    HUgs
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Silke, loving your beautiful paintings and thank you for sharing the great photos. Hugs Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cat painting--I think it is one of the best in this series! The eyes are just fabulous and the red circles are just the perfect contrasting touch! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your art, the table scape is beautiful. Looks like a great day!

    ReplyDelete