Monday, April 28, 2014

Paintings

Dear friends, I so love all of your comments on my last posts - there is such wisdom, kindness and support in this community. It amazes me again and again! And if fills my heart with gratitude! 
Yesterday, after asking myself how I would be different if I didn't care what others thought, a funny thing happened. I was suddenly ready to let go of my two oil paintings. That was unexpected.
Why would I want to hang on to them in the first place? Well, I do love them and I won't be sorry at all if they don't sell and stay here with me. But often I think I hang on to my paintings because I don't want to put them "out there" where they might get scrutinized and criticized.
Right now, that doesn't seem to matter to me. What matters is that I have a gift and I'm ready to share it! That's a very nice feeling indeed!!

Both are available in my Etsy Shop.

Yesterday, I started another oil painting and for some reason I found it frustrating. Part of the fun of  working with oils is that they dry so slowly and you can rework your painting for a long time. And part of the utter frustration I have with oil paints is that they dry so slowly and it's hard to paint over an area I don't like. Yesterday I really wanted the painting to dry fast...

So, today I think I'll get out my acrylics to just play with color and see what happens. It's a light-hearted play sort of day! I hope for you, too!!

With lots of love and appreciation,

Silke

7 comments:

  1. That feeling of letting go is so freeing, isn't it? I am going through a similar phase -- letting go of relationships that no longer suit me and items in my home that no longer bring pleasure. I am finding it very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...suddenly ready to let go of my two oil paintings. That was unexpected."

    look at that! progress, all ready. a different attitude, sounds like progress. but only we, can know for ourselves, what our progress is. i don't mean to know you. :-)

    i especially love how you are "kicking-to-the-curb" worry about your art possibly being scrutinized and criticized. this _has_ to be a big step!

    tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. and, you will always have these painting, right here in your blog. how wonderful that computer technology allows us to keep things, even when we release them into the world.

    your painting is amazing. i can't figure out how you know how to make the shading and etc., which gives so much dept, and life, to faces.

    i appreciate the beauty of your work. but at the same time, it is frustrating to me. how does she do it????????????????

    ahhh and i know the answer to that, for myself. do i want to know how it is done??? take a class. try again, myself. duhhhhh me. those are the answers, which i'm not brave enough right now, to deal with.

    but thank you! for inspiring me, to ask these questions. and realize the answers, for myself.

    tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome personal growth is! Your paintings are lovely and so good for you to be "out there"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often find it hard to part with some of my Photograph or art work ... it is not that I think they are so good, but often they are an extention of who I am in that moment and I think I am afraid if I let go of it, I will lose that moment. Silly, I know, but when you get to be my age, all those moments are important to me. That said ... you are an artist. You create to please your audience so it is only fair that your audience have the opportunity to take your work with them. If they love it that much, you can be proud. Sometimes it takes awhile for the art to find the right person to go home with, but that is good too, because you want it to be in a home where it will be appreciated. Growth is a wonderful thing, but it is not a constant. Sometimes we move forward and then there are times to take a step back. It is the accumulation of the experiences, both good and bad, that make you who you are. Just relax and enjoy ... life happens and you are there for the ride. And what a lovely ride you are on ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Silke,

    an deinen Porträt mag ich immer besonders, welch offenen Blick die Menschen haben.

    Frühlingsfrische Grüße

    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silke- both of these paintings are so beautiful and special-- when they go to new homes they will be loved. I think it's hard to let things go sometimes-- but after the decision has been made / it's such a relief. I commend you for learning to let go:)

    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete