Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ca d'Zan

Finally! Some photos I promised you of Ca d'Zan, the winter residence of John and Mable Ringling (as in the Ringling Brothers Circus) in Sarasota.
I was going to write that I had a busy weekend this weekend, but then I thought: "It just felt busy, but really wasn't." In fact, it was a slow weekend.
I did a lot of reading and some napping - I forget how very tired the humid heat makes me all summer long. Even with air conditioning, I feel as though I only function at half capacity all summer.  I also did some cooking and baking and (of course) eating, one of my favorite past times. Daniel made us cucumber and cilantro margaritas - yum!!! But I digress...
Back to our day in Sarasota. It was quite warm as well, which is why you'll see me on plenty of benches and chairs in the shade...
Apparently this was the winter residence of John and Mable Ringling and she oversaw every detail in the designing and building of it.
It was stunning and I am totally going to overwhelm you with photos, which were all taken by Daniel, the talented photographer! ;-)
I could have moved in and stayed there for the rest of my days. With plenty of staff, of course!




Here I am half moved in! Resting in the shade on "my" beautiful marble terrace overlooking the water.
Daniel thought it was pretty amazing as well. Look how he is dressed to blend in with the railing and the water and sky... I could almost not find him!



 Admiring the view from "my" palace.


And another sit-down. Feeling right at home...
 Daniel as well...
And now many more photos (I told you I'd overwhelm you). Enjoy!!













Did you notice those were only exterior shots? Just wait until my next post showing you the interior. It was opulent to say the least!
Along the pathways were a few buxom ladies like this one keeping watch.
And little putti, this one sporting a watchful lizard.
And just to remind you again - this is in Florida! I kept forgetting as it felt so mediterranean to me. Aside from the humidity maybe...

I hope you all had a great weekend and are enjoying the slower pace of summer. I'm ready for my pace to pick up a little tomorrow and hope to be back on my blog with more (lots more!) photos soon!!

Silke

8 comments:

  1. Just before you mentioned it, I was about to ask whether it wasn't possible for visitors to go inside, too. Now expectations run high for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Silke,

    jeder Besuch bei dir schenkt viel
    Freude.

    Sonnige Grüße
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a glorious day with lots of sunshine! Fabulous photos, thank Daniel for us all, LOL! I agree about the humidity, I do very poorly in it. As much as my DH dislikes the cold of New Hampshire I am a winter girl...I love nothing more than bundling up in big fluffy sweaters and leggings with handmade socks to keep my feet from freezing (lol)!
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
    Hugs and enjoy your week my friend!
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  4. So palatial! I LOVE it. Daniel is a fantastic photographer and his muse is a delight to view! Anxiously awaiting to see the inside.

    **blows kisses**
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosdh - as you say, it looks so Mediterranean. I love the shot where you are looking up at an angle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!!! What a beautiful place-- kudos to Daniel for these incredible photos! What an amazing place-- can you even imagine living there??? Thank you Silke for this amazing tour-- I can't wait to see the inside!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow,,,what a place,,,what super fotos of the surroundings....makes me want to get on a plane and fly right over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such a beautiful adventure..thanks for sharing it Silke! Gorgeous images..one of my faves is the star mosaic-mandala..how I would love that in my garden ..stunning! Wishing you a wonderful summer..hope you are doing well too. Thanks for your lovely visit!
    Blessings and Sparkles to you!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete