Friday, March 27, 2015

Bits and Pieces

Happy Friday to you all! I cannot believe how fast a week goes by! Today I have a few things to share with you in addition to some art.

1. The flowers and plants in our garden are finally starting to come alive again. I took some pictures after a rain (which seems to happen daily at the moment - a very wet spring for us), that were just too pretty not to share.




2. Daniel found this amazing little abandoned wasp nest in our garden the other day. Isn't it perfect?
It now lives with the two huge dead bugs on our piano.
In good company!
3. Here is the progression of a pet portrait I worked on as a commission. As usual, I just started with some colors and shapes. These were so pretty!  
Then I did a very rudimentary sketch and started with the eyes. I always start with the eyes.
Then some more color and definition.
And finally, after all the shading, adding more color and some detail, Zachy was finished.
Zachy is Winslow's best buddy and he has a sweetness about him that I tried to capture in the painting. Winslow and Zachy thought I did a good job...

If you would like me to paint your pet, just send me an email (the link is in my profile) for the details.
4. It's actually been warm enough on a couple of days to go take a walk on the beach. Barefoot!
 It was glorious! Although the cold water made me jump when I put my feet in.
Not Daniel. He loves walking through the water, no matter what temperature.
5. The newest member of our family. He came to us from the storm drain on our street, wet during a rain storm, with a wound on his cheek and bad ear mites. We kept him outside at first and checked around if someone was missing him. He is quite young and very sweet. When the nights got very cold, we took him inside (he wouldn't go into the garage with our two outdoor cats) and discovered that he loves both Winslow and Ramses. It seems it was meant to be. The vet thought that someone probably moved and didn't take him, something that's inconceivable to me.

Meet Peabody!
And with that I wish you a beautiful weekend, an even better week ahead and as much joy in your life as you can stand!

I'm linking this to the amazing folks at Paint Party Friday and at I Heart Macro.

With lots of love and appreciation for you all,

Silke

14 comments:

  1. Lucky, lucky Peabody, to have found such a good home! How long before he discovers those two bugs/cat toys on top of the piano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos and art, love that wasp nest! My visit to your blog today was most enjoyable, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! the stamens on the pink flower look like they are tipped with tiny silver beads. I love your portrait of Zacky! what a sweet face her has. And lucky Peabody to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Silke. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peabody! You always give your pets such interesting names. It's great to see all the flowers here -- we should get to see some for real in Maine pretty soon. Have a good weekend! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love seeing how your animals emerge from your beautiful backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pet portrait..you captured his sweetness. I feel the same as you about animals..they are lifers and family how anyone can leave them behind is beyond me. I ended up with a cat the exact same way only she scratched on my door....so I fed her in the dead of winter...then she brought her newborns to me soon after!! How did she know to pick my house... maybe because I had two dogs at the time... I have no idea. That was many many years ago. I took them all in and found good homes!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lucky is Peabody-and he looks so sweet. Gorgeous flower photos! Love your figurines and your portrait is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peabody!!!! He is adorable.... what a terrible thing to have happened to him - yet - now, he has found a loving home!!! The flowers are stunning... love the photos of you and Daniel. Big Hugs from San Francisco! ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. simply amazing photos and that painting is amazing... you captured the dog perfectly...xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pet portrait! You captured the eyes perfectly. Lucky Peabody to have been welcomed into your house ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a gorgeous pet portrait - it is all about the eyes and they are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your painting Silke. The wasps next is awesome and your photos at the ocean front are inviting. Wonderful work, enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete