Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm captivated ...

... by our two datura plants at the moment.
When we lived in New Mexico, we had a couple of bushes of the simple white datura in our yard.
They grew wild there and flowered prolifically. Each day, I would cut a flower and bring it inside. They only stayed fresh for a day, but the scent was intoxicating!
This spring, a friend gave us some little datura plants she had grown from seeds last year and now they are blooming.
They are so stunning!
And they smell just as good as the simple ones we had in New Mexico.
And with that I am heading up to my studio to make some art! 

Wishing you a terrific Thursday!! 

Silke

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous flowers, Silke. I've not heard of them before. I would love to smell them.
    Have a wonderful day in your studio.
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, they also have other names and are part of the nightshade family. ♥Silke

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised you like the smell - it's an intoxicant and hallucinogen! But probably only in large quantities so I suspoect you're OK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was mostly the seeds that were used as a hallucinogen, although I know the whole plant is toxic to some extent. I think all the plants in the nightshade family (even potatoes, eggplant and tomatoes) carry some toxicity. So far, nothing exciting has happened from the smell... :-)

      Delete
  3. Liebe Silke,

    PERFEKT!

    Sonnige Grüße

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Datura Metalloides, Double variety~~to die for!!!
    The seeds are the hallucinogen, and the rest of the plant is toxic in some extent. I am not sure that they are not somewhere related to gympsom weed, as the leaves and flowers are similar, as is the scent.
    Moths and butterflies love them.
    As do I!

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete