Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homework

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for your great comments on my last drawing for class. I appreciate you all so much!! My current drawing is proving more difficult and just a tad frustrating. I'm going in again in a little while to draw on it some more. It has to be done on Tuesday, so you'll see the result soon. I sure hope it improves between now and then...
These two photos are of the homework we have to do, which are value studies in watercolor of still life paintings done by the old masters. It's actually quite relaxing to do, although I've only done very few of them. By the end of class we'll need to have 25 total! I might want to get busy...
We print out or copy the image in black and white and then trace it onto the paper. Then we figure out where our whitest whites are and leave those white while we work on everything else with many layers of thin watercolor washes.

Part of this exercises is to get us used to watercolor as a medium - our last two projects are going to be done in watercolor, which will be so different from charcoal and pencil!

Can I just say that I am loving this class! At first I was a little worried about having to go in every night to draw (I am so not a night owl!), but that has turned out to be so much fun! I love listening to the younger students talk - they are in such a great place in their lives with everything still in front of them.

And then I realize that I am in a better place in my life still - I can just totally relax and enjoy this experience. And that's exactly what I'm doing...

Wishing you an excellent weekend! I'm off to get my hands dirty with charcoal once again...

14 comments:

  1. Wow. this is really amazing.
    Du lernst so viel in deinem Kurs, deine Bilder sind super

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which I like better~~the art, or your realization that you are in so much of a better place in your life.
    They both are beautiful and priceless.
    Have loved the vicarious thrill of seeing your work jump by leaps and bounds!

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Silke,

    wir lassen liebe Grüße hier

    Angela und Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh amazing, just imagine what art your going to create with all this knowledge! Blows the mind!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work has improved in leaps and bounds...amazing...I love your studies!
    BIG hugs...
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you are having fun with your class. :) Continue the good work, Silke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are happy with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those value studies are sensational! Good for you - knowing where you are and enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silke this is so amazing!!! Great work!! You are wowing me with your work in this class!! So excited for you that you are enjoying all of it.

    And yes, you too are in a great place, you have your whole life ahead of you and are able to savor each moment more and more!!

    Loving watching you grow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I love how you do the value studies, how interesting! So glad you are enjoying your class♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't get over the progress you are making, Silke. What possessed you to take these classes? It was the best thing you could have done. That finished drawing in your previous post was excellent.

    Thanks for stopping by and continued good luck and best wishes for your classes. You're doing well!

    Love,
    Doris and Gizzy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silke- it's just so much fun to follow you along in your new classes- I can sense how happy that these new challenges make you. You are a talented artist in your own right- ( I am still marveling at your latest charcoal works)! I think it's wonderful that you enjoy " getting your hands dirty" as you sketch another great work--

    I wish you every success with your new classes-
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  13. silke your drawings are just beautiful! its so nice to see you enjoying and creating such wonderful things! i hope your finding ways to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete