Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Magdeburg

On our drive back from Berlin, my dad and I stopped in Magdeburg, which turned out to be a beautiful day. 
I have to admit that neither one of us really had any idea of what we'd find in Magdeburg or even the historical significance of this town. You can read more about it here, which is well worth it!
Our first stop was at the magnificent cathedral.
Emperor Otto I, who founded the Holy Roman Empire, is buried here. You can read more about him by clicking here.


There were some wonderfully bizarre carvings on the choir benches.

I just love gargoyles!


Magdeburg is situated on the River Elbe and of course we had to take a look.
And here is what turned out to be my favorite part of Magdeburg - The Green Citadel, an architectural creation by the Viennese artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser
Even though the house was built after Hundertwasser's death in 2000, he had just about completed the plans for this very fun building before he died.
It just made me happy!
Even the bathrooms were amazing. My dad took a few pictures.
I never thought I'd show a picture of urinals, but can you believe the aquarium?!
We ate lunch in the inner courtyard.
I couldn't get over the colors and the forms and how nothing was square, yet everything quite functional.

A great place to relax!


And a couple of other gorgeous buildings around the downtown. There's much we didn't see - maybe we'll go back when Daniel comes with me to Germany next time!
When I asked Daniel if he knew of Magdeburg, he said that he drove there to do some research (he was studying medieval european art history at the time) in the cathedral before the reunification. I had completely forgotten about that. He had to get special permission to drive there and spend time in the cathedral. His experience sounded like a completely different one - not as nice, but just as interesting. It'll be fun for him to see what it's like now!

Silke

8 comments:

  1. Hi Silke, ich wünscht ich hätte Zeit gehabt mitzukommen. Es sieht toll dort aus. Liebe Grüße, Caro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Silke,

    die schönen Erinnerung bleiben.

    Alles Liebe

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, ich bin völlig aus der Bloggerwelt gewesen - wie schön, dass Du mal wieder in Deutschland warst. Magdeburg kenne ich auch gar nicht, aber Deinen Bildern nach, scheint es wirklich schön und lohnenswert zu sein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ja, ich habe auch schöne Erinnerungen an Magdeburg. Den Dom habe ich auch besucht. Allerdings das Hundertwasserhaus habe ich verpasst. Schade, vielleicht beim nächsten Mal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Silke-- this is just magnificent!! What a day you must have had! How priceless to spend your day here with your Dad!! These photos are just gorgeous-- there is SO much history "over there"!! I don't even have to ask-- I already can tell that you had a wonderful day!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liebe Silke,
    das sind schöne Eindrücke aus Magdeburg. Die grüne Zitadelle ist genau mein Ding.
    LG sabine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shots of fabulous architecture! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Silke,
    Amazing! I feel like I was right there, in Germany!

    ReplyDelete