Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hibiscus Mutabilis

... or Confederate Rose, which is how it is commonly known around here. I posted about it last year sometime, but I have to tell you about it again just because it is so beautiful and fascinates me.
When I picked this big blossom Tuesday morning, it was bright white.  During the day it turned from white to very pale pink to the gorgeous pink below.
This morning, it was dark pink and started to close up again. Each flower blooms for two days. Beautiful!
Our Confederate Rose bush went from being a small stick two years ago to a big 10-foot bush this year. It's amazing and just a little scary how fast plants grow in this climate!
We are going to be out of town for a few days, but I'll check back in with all of you when we get back.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Silke

5 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    die leuchtende Farbe deiner Blumen ist
    sehr schön.

    Alles Liebe
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, the color transformation is awesome,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hibuskusblüten sind wunderschön, leider sind sie nichts für das deutsche Klima, aber unser heimischer Eibisch ist ja auch ganz hübsch

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad had one of these and you are exactly right! When he told me it changed color like this, I couldn't believe it, but it is true!
    And you are right, he had to cut his down, it was taking over the whole side of his house! :-)

    ReplyDelete