Tuesday, August 28, 2018

May and June

It's been so long since I last wrote that I thought I'd break things up into months to let you know what we've been up to!
May was all about the end of the school year for Daniel and me working on commissions, some of which I can't show yet. 
However, Lola growing up was a big part of our summer. We all graduated from puppy school (and by now have forgotten much of what we learned). Lola is such a good dog - she loves to play with her toys, she doesn't chew on anything she isn't supposed to and she is the snuggliest dog we've ever had.
By now, she and Winslow are best buddies and love to hang out together. We have to make sure she doesn't get too wild with old Winslow, but other than that they get along wonderfully!
Other than that, May was all about the garden being at its most beautiful! 






Our fruit trees were coming along nicely as well. The kumquat tree has been blooming all summer and is full of fruit that will be ripe in the winter. 
Our quince tree, which had two quince last year, is full of slowly ripening fruit. We are looking forward to the winter when we can hopefully make a good bit of quince jam.
Which brings me to our fig tree and the month of June. 
In June, the figs started to ripen and we picked several pounds of figs every day, which had to be processed immediately. Luckily, they don't all get ripe at once!

We dried many pounds of them and made jam to last all year. My favorite jam from this batch was with added orange blossom water. So good! The dried figs we use in Muesli and a rye sourdough bread I make that is amazing!
We also gave many figs to friends and I baked a few of these gorgeous fig frangipani tarts. By the end of the month - and about 90 pounds of figs later - we were glad it would be a whole year before the next harvest!
And of course, there has to be some art in my post. These were two commissioned paintings I finished and sent off to France at the end of June.
I'm working on one more large one for this client, which should be done in the next few days. 
I hope you have all been well this summer and have enjoyed a slower pace, the joys of longer days and maybe a vacation. I visited Germany in July and will tell you all about that in my next post!


Silke

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back (to your own blog), dear Silke!
    It is good to see you are well and have simply been too busy with offline life, and not ill or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see you back here. That is a LOT of figs! Love the paintings and Lola is so cute!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy! Your white dog is so sweet looking. Do you know the book "To Dance With The White Dog" by Terry Kay? He is a fellow Georgian!
    Can't wait to hear about your trip to Germany!
    Those figs! Wow!
    Your garden is lovely, I bet you enjoyed all the rain you had this year, I know we did, well, it was good for the garden anyway!
    Your art is always so very, very good. Do you remember the lovely painting of Freya that you sent to me? The lady with the barred owl on her shoulder? She greets me every morning, thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete