Monday, October 23, 2017

Figs

Our June and part of July was definitely dominated by our fig harvest. Our little tree was producing like never before! When we planted it 11 years ago, it was a merely a little stick, maybe a foot tall.
Every day for a few weeks we picked a couple of bowls of figs. Luckly they don't all ripen at the same time.
I bought a food dehydrator and dried what I thought where huge amounts of figs.
We indeed had a couple of big containers filled with dried figs and then Daniel discovered a recipe for a rye sourdough bread with dried figs, which is excellent and freezes really well. So, we've already used most of the dried figs and have decided that next year, we'll dry even more of them. 
Of course, we also made a lot of fig jam, some with lavender, another batch with thyme and also a few jars with orange blossom water.
All of them delicious! 
We made a rustic fig tart, 
fig pizza with goat cheese, caramelized onion and pine nuts, 
but the best recipe that Daniel found this year is for Roasted Fig Agrodolce. We made several batches for the freezer and it is delicious just on crackers or - like in the photo below - as an appetizer on toasted baguette with goat cheese or cream cheese. Next year, I'll definitely make more of that to freeze!
To be honest, I was glad when the fig season was finally over, but I'm happy we get to enjoy the jams, the dried figs and agrodolce in the freezer yet for some time to come.

Silke

5 comments:

  1. I love figs! If I lived closer to you, I'd be begging you for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh my, that fig jam with thyme looks soo good! Would just love to taste it ♥
    xo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful harvest of figs! I love fig preserves on a hot buttered biscuit! My Dad has fig trees but hardly anyone likes them, so the birds eat them. (The figs that is, not the people who don't like figs! LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a harvest! I have some fond memories picking figs from my grandparent's tree and helping make jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ach Silke da läuft einem das Wasser im Mund zusammen bei all den leckeren Sachen, die du aus den Feigen gezaubert hast. Ganz tolle Rezepte,danke. Unser Feigenbaum hat dieses Jahr keine Früchte gehabt, lag wohl teils am Wetter oder daran, daß ich ihn letztes Jahr gestutzt habe. Hoffe dann nächstes Jahr gibt es wieder wleche. Meine ist noch im Topf auf der Dachterasse und ich weiß nicht ob er im Beet unsere kalten Winter übersteht. Ist es bei euch warm?
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete