Friday, June 10, 2016

Art and Nature

Last week, I didn't do a whole lot of painting. Daniel was out of town and I just took it easy. You'd think I'd be in my studio all the time, but I felt more inspired to read, knit, crochet and watch some movies.
I did finish this rather large painting which is going to my sister's when we visit this summer. It was quite a challenge for me and I love, love, love how it turned out! The colors and the feel of it.
The canvas below was moving in a direction I didn't like, so I gave it a layer of gesso for a new start, while keeping some of the previous layers peeking through. It'll add to the texture of the painting once it's finished. I have no clue yet where this is heading.
We've had some days of big rain (Tropical Storm Colin came right through here) and then much sunshine. Flowers are blooming in abundance and I love bringing some of them inside.
The other day, I was lucky enough to find a perfect snake skin in our back yard. Isn't it gorgeous? I am keeping it for nature decoration in our house. We have quite of bit of that - dead bugs, animal skulls we've found, sand dollars, etc. This will fit right in!
We are always on the lookout for interesting bugs and this spider fits the bill. It was tiny, but look at that color! Amazing!
And here is one of the fascinating Golden Silk Orb Weaver spiders. A couple of years back I blogged about a female I watched all through the summer (click here). Here is a new female and she's going to be fun to observe. Right now, she's only about an inch in length (including the legs), but by summer's end she'll be about 6 to 7 inches long, while the males are tiny! Fascinating creature!
And this last was a lucky shot while a swallowtail butterfly was busy drinking from our bougainvillea. Isn't it gorgeous? Actually the colors are inspiring a painting...

I'm linking to the ever wonderful Paint Party Friday and wish you all an amazing week!!

With love and gratitude,

Silke

13 comments:

  1. Your post is a riot of colour. Love the new painting for your sister, and the photos are fabulous. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is gorgeous! Your sister will adore it. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous painting. Love the horses. Sorry but I don't love snakes nor bugs although it really looks wonderful 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy seeing your work and photos on Instagram Silke, but they're even more stunning here in larger format.
    Happy PPF to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad I stopped by what a beautiful painting but those spider..eughhh
    http://loveofcollage.wordpress.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. All is beautiful, photos too. Interesting paint over, will be interesting to see where it will go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you love that painting for your sister- I love it too! It's got a very spiritual feel. Fab pics of nature and the spiders etc. I am always fascinated by them too:) Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful painting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking of a quote from Monet, can't remember it but is was along the lines of ...it's all about the color!
    Love the way you see the world's beauty and show us in your art. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow gorgeous piece for your sister...absolutely stunning...but sorry not into the bug and skin thing...had to fly by that part quickly since I'd be having nightmares if I didn't!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you are a woman of color - beautiful! I do love those spiders - well at least looking at them. They really are pretty, and so are their webs! They are true artists, and even "dresses" like authentic artsist😄.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo liebe Silke, da komm ich aus dem Urlaub zurück und stelle fest, daß du schon wieder fleißig warst. Lauter wunderschöne Werke in traumhaften Farben sind da entstanden. Das Bild für deine Schwester würde ich auch sofort nehmen, soooo schön. Da bin ich gespannt was aus dem angefangenen Bild wird, immer spannend so ein Entstehungsprozeß.
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!!!! I'm sure sister loved that amazing painting!!!! You have just inspired me to try some new techniques! Love!

    ReplyDelete