Friday, February 5, 2016

Fearless Painting

I am taking the year-long Lifebook course again this year (a link to the site is on my sidebar) and just January alone was well worth the cost of the course. I am learning to take risks again, to let go of being careful with my art and it was exactly what I needed.
These process photos are from a lesson by Annie Hamman and her little daughter, Tallulah. The lesson was to paint a portrait, but to take turns either with your young child or with your inner child. As you see in the photo above, my woman looks pretty tame in the first layer (adult version).

But in the photo below, my inner child came out to play. The challenge was to not look at it as a face, but just as a canvas to play on. It didn't matter if "important" parts get covered up.
Wow! My inner child sure loves color and has discovered stencils. And was hard to stop! But then my adult(ish) self got her turn and the face started coming to the forefront again. I did love some of the abstraction and made sure to leave some of it.
And again: PLAY! Stencils, stamps and fingerpainting. And color, color, color. So much fun!
And for the last layer I felt that both my adult self and inner child got to have a turn together. I cleaned her face up a little and added a few more stencils. And given how I usually paint, I couldn't resist the drips...
Such a good lesson in connecting to the uninhibited part of ourselves. Not just for painting, but for life. So often we forget to have fun because life can become quite serious. Everything seems to become easier when we inject a little levity. And course, this new approach is already making its way into my other art, but more of that in another post.

I'm linking to the fantastic Paint Party Friday. Head on over for lots of amazing art!!

I hope you are having a wonderful week. Here's to a great weekend ahead.


Silke

23 comments:

  1. You evidently had big fun playing, love the results. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the process and the outcome is very interesting.I love how her eyes evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Silke, I haven't been blogging for a while but I remember you and when I say your post on my sidebar had to stop by. I have been painting for a long time to and doing some zentangle now. I love what you did with your lady. I have got to try that. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a wonderful class from Annie Hamman called Soulful Art-it was an excellent class--different of course from the one with her daughter--its fun to let your inner child come out and play and see who or what appears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Silke--I've started blogging again--come visit my blog!! www.janetsartplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour,

    J'aime la manière comme vous laissez aller votre spontanéité avec ce portrait.
    Des couleurs vivifiantes qui swinguent parfaitement bien ensemble.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing the transformations and the end result is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. luv how she turned out, Happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love all the stages of this painting. The end result is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fantastic how a piece can go through many different stages and the end result showing some from each stage. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this process...can't wait to try something like it!! Thanks for sharing all the steps it was so fun!! She turned out beautifully and stayed true to your style too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful! I would love to give it a try... maybe soon. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo I have to say I love these Silke. So cool to just let loose and go. I love the results--so intricate and deep. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful pieces. You used so many luscious colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I am really loving how you are showing us your art as you go along with it, just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silke - just fabulous! Such a treat to see your work evolve. I have recently picked up my brushes and paint again and must say I am loving it. xo Renate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Thank you for sharing your process, Silke. Your work is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful thing to get to see some of the stages of your beautiful lady.
    It took courage all along the way I think to just play and know when to stop too.
    She is fabulous!
    Happy PPF oxo
    p.s. I have seen little Tallulah on FB with her mom and they are both a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so impressed on how you put color together. It is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome, yes, just have fun, that reflects in the painting as well ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing to see how you played with the face. First it is a face of a powerful woman and at the end we can see a mystic goddess. I love so much what you did. Great inspiration, I think I will try it too.
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes!!! Thank you for sharing your process! The colors, the colors!! Soon I hope to start my new blog...Love, R.

    ReplyDelete