Monday, June 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is my dad's birthday! He is 70 years young -- and when I say "young," I mean it! He's great and I am lucky in that we are really close. We talk on the phone several times a week, we skype, we e-mail, we are interested in many of the same things, and he is probably the biggest fan of my blog and my art - in short, we aren't "only" father and daughter, but also good friends, and that is something all too rare.

Here are some photos of him I just adore. In the picture above, he is the eager student in the middle row on the right. And below, with his VW bug! (Incidentally, when Daniel picked me up in an orange VW Beetle for our first date some 24 years ago, I instantly had a good feeling about him...)
And finally I can show you the piece of art I made for my dad for his birthday. I've been dying to post it, but had to wait for the proper time (patience is not always one of my virtues). It's a mixture of acrylic paint, paper collage and image transfers on an 8x8 canvas. My mom took the photo of me and my dad and captured a moment of connection, which has remained unbroken all these years!
Fast forward 42 years... It was our first day back on a visit to Germany and my dad immediately took Daniel and me for the biggest and best ice cream sundaes in town! He knows what makes us happy...
We wish we could celebrate with him today, but I know we'll do so in style when we see each other next! (There is a rumor that he is coming to visit us in the fall and we can't wait!!)

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Papa!!

13 comments:

  1. Best wishes for your Dad on his birthday, Silke! Treasure the moments you have!!
    You made a beautiful collage for him, I am sure he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday with your dad Silke. I love the collage. What is it I see about Savannah at the top? And is it the city of Muester I see at the bottom? Wat a wonderful connection of the two of you. You two just radiate such love and understanding for each in the picture. I whole heartedly celebrate that, yeeeeh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raina posted the last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Silke! This is a great post. Your Dad is good looking and you are so pretty. I love the old photos and your gift to him is fantastic. Wow! There is so much love in this post, it is heartwarming. What a great way to start my week! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday papa silke!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silke dear, what a great gift you did for your dad, --Schönes glückwunsch mit deine Vater-
    It`s fantastic how the picture of you both, like hides in the shadow of yesterday, and wonderfull colors.

    xoxo ~Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blog and lovely tribute to your father!
    I am happy to have found your site.
    Happy Birthday Dad, and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, you are both so beautiful! Your dad looks fifty, your telling fibs,lol! So pleased your so close to your dad, really warms my heart to know this. You both looks so happy and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Silke, I am really surprise about the relation you have with your father, you are friends and I can see it in the photos, I am so glad of it, The collage is very beautifull, I like the photo of you (baby) and your father, no words for it, so cute!
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful friendship to have and to treasure. The two of you look Really happy in the ice cream store I love that photo. I hope you treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your art looks fabulous, your dad looks great, and I love the bit about the VW! We VW owners are extra-special! :] Happy Birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love that. Dad's are special and your lucky to have a great relationship with him! My Dad turned 70 last August and we pulled off a wonderful party for him. 70 doesn't seem as old as it used to be does it?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely tribute to your Dad. I wish him a very happy birthday! You're very lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with him. The vintage pics of him are great & so is the gorgeous collage you did in his honor. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog & signing up to follow me. Your blog is beautiful as is all of your work!

    ReplyDelete