Tuesday, June 26, 2012

More baking...

I totally forgot to take a picture of the peach cobbler from the other night ... and then it was gone!! It tasted delicious! I'll share the recipe below... 
But first, something else.  Fig season has arrived and our tree is gifting us with an abundance of ripe figs. So what's a girl to do but bake?! I made the fig tart again that I had shared with you here. Amazing!! It might seem complicated, but it really isn't. Just make sure you make everything ahead of time so the tart crust and the pastry cream can cool completely before putting it all together.

I didn't have fig jam for the glaze, so I used orange marmalade instead (and left out the pepper) and it was great! I also think this tart can be made with any number of fresh fruit. I might try blueberries next.  Perfect for summer...
Ok, and here's the cobbler recipe:

Blueberry Peach Cobbler
from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

Fruit Filling
4 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches
2 cups blueberries (I used fresh)
1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping (which I changed, but I'll give you the official version here)
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350℉.

Prepare a glass, ceramic, or stainless steel 10-inch round or 9-inch square baking dish with a light coating of oil or cooking spray.

Combine all of the fruit filling ingredients and pour them into the baking dish.

Sift the flour (accidentally typed flower at first...), baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl (I used the food processor). In a separate bowl combine the oil and yogurt. Fold the oil mixture into the dry ingredients with a fork. Using flowered hands and working the dough as little as possible, form it into a ball. Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Cut the dough in half, place one half on top of the other, and press down. Repeat three times.

With a rolling pin or pressure form your hands, flatten the dough into a 10-inch circle or 9-inch square to fit your baking dish and place it over the filling. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the crust is golden and a knife inserted in the topping comes out clean.

My changes
I made some adjustments to the topping because we like it a little nuttier. I substituted whole wheat flour for half the flour amount, added some ground almonds and rolled oats. I also increased the yogurt/oil mixture by however much was needed to have the dough hold together. I did all the mixing in by pulsing the dough in the food processor (I'm lazy that way...).

The topping didn't rise very much (next time I might add some baking soda), but it was so good and crunchy and the perfect contrast to the soft fruit filling.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and ENJOY!!!

☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂

In other news, we've been having lots of rain from tropical storm Debbie and are loving it! It feels as though the world is upside down a little. Yesterday it was rainy and 77 degrees here (in Georgia, in June!!) while in Denver it was 105! But no worries ... our temperatures post-Debby are forecast to be around 100 with the humidity to match it! I am NOT looking forward to that...

We are going to have company for the next three weeks, which means a) we'll have lots of fun, b) even more good food and c) that my blogging will be even more sporadic than it has been.

Make sure you connect with me on Facebook (there's a link on my right sidebar). I find that when I get a little computer time, I often check in there as it is quicker for me than planning and writing a blog post. Should I be making any art, I'll post that on my Facebook Page.

In the meantime, I wish you a most wonderful and creative time!!

8 comments:

  1. Liebe Silke,

    schön, dass du hier deine Backwerke zeigst.
    Sie schmecken wohl köstlich.

    Sonnige Grüße
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??? No low fat peach cobbler for me for breakfast??? Okay. I have the figs!! Wishing you a wonderful visit with friends. Human connection is what it's all about. **blows kisses** Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silke- enjoy your company!! Could you please send some of that rain up here??? We are totally sweltering - over 100 every day! Yesterday's storms made our yard look like an apocylipse- trees down everywhere!!
    But we are safe--)

    Xo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silke, you live a delicious & gorgeous life & I enjoy taking a peek at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Silke, you have a won a John Levine cd. Could you send me an address to post too. :D Julie <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Halli Hallo,
    ich hab mich lange nicht mehr gemeldet und wollte kurz Hallo sahen. Es scheint so, als genießest du den Sommer. Richtig so! Ich wünsch dir eine schöne Woche und guten Appetit ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what a gorgeous post and recipe! Visually stunning..beautiful-yumminess!!
    Hope you are enjoying your summer..have a happy week!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks very tasty indeed! Now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete