Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Moment of Joy

A Moment Of Joy
Acrylic on 18 x 24 inch wrapped canvas

My latest painting started out as an abstract color play with a very limited palette of Zinc White, Paynes Gray, Turquoise (Pthalo), Pyrrole Red, Pryrrole Orange, Hansa Yellow Medium, Iridescent Pearl, and Iridescent Gold. And underneath the paint is probably every medium I have in my possession and some beautiful handmade papers. It gives the whole piece incredible texture! 
After sitting with the above abstract piece for a while, I kept seeing an ocean sunset with a dolphin jumping, not a subject matter I usually paint.
However, I enjoyed myself immensely and still now, as I have it sitting on my easel, I just love it when I steal a glance.
In the above photo you can see some of the iridescent color in it, which makes it look slightly different when the light changes.
I am not sure if it's finished yet. I'll sit with it for a while longer and will probably refine a few areas.
If I change it, I'll show it to you again.

And in the meantime, I wish you many, many moments of joy!!

18 comments:

  1. About four years ago we, as a family, were able to swim with the dolphins and it ranks among the top experiences of my life. This beautiful picture recalls that memory and it does indeed bring great joy! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Silke! Love the shimmer and the light on his belly.

    Merry Christmas to you and Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Silke..what a powerful and beautiful moment of joy! I love it...gorgeous!!!..and the shimmer effect is wonderful..gives such a bounce of light. I love all the colors you shared..wow..some fabulous ones..and some I havent yet tried...it is all so exciting! I love the energy of this piece and the feel..and this beautiful dolphin leaping out ..just stunning! Very meditative too!
    Happy creating...
    HUgs
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silke I love it!! Its so beautiful! And its so cool how the dolphins appeared!! Love the colors and the shimmers of light! Nice work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love art that just makes itself. The texture on these shots really show how much is going on in the painting~~I think it is perfect as it is!
    Plus I love iridescent paint anyway.....so you got me; hook line and sinker! ;-)

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful color palette, wonderful sense of movement. Love the abstract nature of it. Kudos! This one's definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sweet Silke,
    I wish you ,alles liebe und wunderschön-
    a very merry christmas, and the happiest of years to come.
    Love and hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing, Silke. Wonderful use of colors & I do love the shimmering look. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silke, how BEAUTIFUL!!! I am really enjoying your wildlife paintings. I adore the contrast of warm and cold colors here. Very lovely!!! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this - love the colors, the dolphin jumping, the sun set and the colors of the ocean mixed with it all. This is my all time favorite so far!! Well done Silke!

    Vicki

    (I really, really, do love this!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Es ist wunderschön Silke!

    Frohe Weihnachten

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wunderschöne Farben, ein Traum. Ich wünsche Dir ein schönes, frhes und besinnliches Weihnachtsfest. Liebe Grüße,Inge

    ReplyDelete