Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Homemade Muesli

Daniel made a batch of his homemade cereal last night and I thought I'd share the recipe because it is just so good. I call it granola, but it's really more like muesli. Every time, the mixture changes a little depending on what we have on hand, but it's always delicious!
Homemade Muesli
by Daniel Powers

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat flakes
1 cup rye flaks (or spelt or barley, etc.)
1 cup hazelnuts (or half hazelnuts, half almonds)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (yesterday Daniel used half sunflower, half pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 cup dried apricots, chopped (yesterday, he used dried cranberries and figs instead)
1/4 cup canola oil

Pour oil in 9 x 13 pyrex dish and put in cold oven.
Heat oven (with pyrex dish in it) to 375 degrees.
While oven is heating, add nuts, to food processor and pulse to chop coarsely (or chop by hand).
Add 4 cups of grains - bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
Add rest of ingredients (except dried fruit) - bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
Take dish from oven, place on rack and cool.
When cooled, add dried fruit.
Store in cool place.

As you can see, the variations are endless. You can vary the flakes, the nuts, the seeds, the dried fruit or you can add cinnamon. Eat with milk or yogurt and add fresh fruit if you want to (excellent with blueberries or strawberries).

Enjoy!!

Do you make your own cereal? What do you put in it?

P.S. Daniel told me he uses less oil now than he did when we wrote down the recipe, so I've changed the oil amount to 1/4 cup.

19 comments:

  1. mmmsounds and look delicious. I'll try it!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love homemade muesli! My daily one third cup in my cereal bowl is more basic, but a good GI diet breakfast. Equal quantities oat flakes and All Bran, added toasted pecans and slivered almonds, some dried cranberries. A third cup of skimmed milk and whatever fresh fruit I have to hand - v quick! Sometimes I leave out the milk, add a half a grated apple and a third cup of plain yoghurt instead. Just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful, Silke. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That museli looks really good. We don't normally eat cereal but may have to try Daniel's recipe out on the grandson...he won't eat a salad for breakfast with his strange grandparents. I bet it would go really good with some of the apples and pears we dry each fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Silke!!!

    oh wow!!! this looks wonderful...I will have to make some....I am back from a week away and so happyto be on-line and able to visit you....

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy and healthy too! He is a dream guy...cooks, paints, and keeps you happy. What more could a girl want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this sounds delicious!!
    Thanks♥
    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh thank you so much for sharing - i love to eat this and never tire of it
    this is a very tasty and healthy combo

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks soooo good, I will be giving it a try...
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi silke....this looks so good my mouth is watering!! what a great addition to my morning yogurt! thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this reminds me of some yummy granola i had years ago at a bed and breakfast in mendocino...ahhh...the fond memories..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!
    Yes, we make our own granola, wheat germ, nuts, dried fruit seeds... I hope to also try your recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Silke! My mouth was watering while reading the recipe. This is so much better than any granola or muesli from the store! I need to try this. Thank you very much for sharing this. Thanks to Daniel. (I love that name - I have a brother named Daniel) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone! Daniel and I are glad you all think this looks good! It is!! And thanks for some of the tips of what you eat - I never thought to grate an apple over it. I bet pear would be good, too... Ok, getting hungry! ;) Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks and sounds delicious. Everyone needs a Daniel.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. kisses xxx

    and

    hugs ooo

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,

    Love muesli!



    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete